Thursday

Mid August


I wrote this poem a while ago, when it was a very hot day!
It's about a time I was pregnant in a very hot summer.
But it's really about the way we sometimes have 
memories of events that we regard as 'not  retrievable'
things the we can never feel, see or do again
in exactly the same way as the first time.
In fact; is there every anything better than a first time?


After Branwen and Joe had been with us, we drove them
back to Swansea and stayed the day at
Tir Coch, where we were able
to enjoy the company of the Lee's
Taliesin, Amelia, Jonathan
and baby Seren.
Here we are playing with Branwen's father's old
Dinky cars.

AUGUST BURNT BRIGHT

Every dawn, the sun
Arrived like a child at       play. 
People whined over heat rashes, eyestrain, 

While, with sumo tread, 
My face a boiled beet,
My body pocked like grapefruit,

I peeled my big-girl bra and
Formed a starfish on the bedspread
A whale 
Dripping sweat like torture. 

In a dream, the curtains stirred. 
A lightness tripped in the room, a swirl of air 
Sulphur like poppies in my nostrils. 

Cartwheeling in his heated pool
Round and tight, a drum of child.
Waiting for the miracle.

Fat drops passed the window
Falling stars glistening with sunlight
As they hit the ashphalt.

This room of plum and orange walls.
This child rolling within me.
The air on my skin like Arctic feathers.

We played Harry Potter; here we are trying, then
failing, to get onto Platform 9 and 3/4s
Hold the memory in glass;
I am Gileroy Lockhart at his book signing in Diagon Alley;
good practice for later?
The unrepeatable ecstasy
Of a shudder as August burnt bright. 
Sweet Seren, the star
Two days later, and Britta was staying with us! She's
come from Switzerland for a lovely long stay, working her
way around Britain and enjoying old friends and Druid camps

No comments:

Post a Comment